As you are growing your yoga business – whether as an independent yoga teacher or yoga studio owner – hopefully, you have already built a website. If not, check out this article with our suggestions on the minimum features your website should have.
One of the must-haves on your website is regularly updated content and a great way to check this box is by starting a blog! Not convinced that blogs are relevant or can help grow your business? On the contrary! Think of your blog as the hub of your website. An active blog is key to ensuring your website remains dynamic. All of the new content you post keeps your website fresh and relevant for visitors and search engines alike!
How a blog can grow your yoga business
Still not sure that a blog is worth the time and effort? Here are just a few of our top reasons why a blog can be good for gaining exposure for your yoga studio or business as a yoga teacher.
- Builds credibility: As a yoga teacher, regularly updating your blog with content is a great way to establish yourself as an expert. As you continue to add more content to your blog, you’re building trust and credibility with visitors to your site which could include a new yoga student!
- Provides value: As you’re building a solid level of trust with your audience, it’s important to show that you are committed to providing value for your potential yoga students or clients. Your blog is a resource and is being offered at no-cost to the reader which in turn solidifies your dedication to being a yoga teacher and in supporting people in their own yoga practice. Over time and with a consistent blog publishing schedule, your readers will see that you provide valuable yoga content on a regular basis, which is a great way to encourage them to return to your blog to learn from your yoga expertise.
- Boosts your SEO: If you are new to building a website and establishing your online presence, just the sight of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) might cause you to scratch your head—but, even for the non-technical folks, there are some easy tactics you can deploy in order to boost your SEO and your chance of being found through search engine results. One of the ways to do this is to add new content to your blog on a regular basis (which you want to do anyway in order to build trust and credibility!) Learn more about SEO in this article written by OfferingTree co-founder, Alec.
How to keep your yoga blog up and running
Now that we’ve covered a few reasons why a blog can be a boon to your yoga website and business, here are some ways to ensure you can keep it up and running!
- Keep a central list of topics and ideas: One of the biggest deterrents to starting and maintaining a blog is coming up with content ideas. You never know when inspiration will strike so we suggest establishing a central spot to keep track of your ideas. You might even want to snap a picture or video so later on when you’re referring to your notes, you have something to jog your memory (and additional media to include in your blog post!). If you’re the type of person who thinks of their best ideas in bed, make sure to keep a notepad next to you, or use an app like Evernote to keep your ideas in one spot. As we said, this can be a major challenge so here are some additional content ideas you can consider when you’re beginning to establish your blog:
- Address questions you hear in yoga classes or sessions: Are there any frequently asked questions from your students or clients? Make a note of any questions that come up and see if you notice a trend.
- Connect a personal story to your own yoga practice: Share a reflection that connects your yoga classes to a personal experience. Help your audience understand how your offering goes beyond the yoga mat – and why it matters.
- Conduct an interview: Interviews are a great way to collaborate with others and provide cross-promotion opportunities. Consider respected yoga teachers or studio owners in your field, a yoga student with an inspirational story, or a mentor that you admire.
- Be a student: Use your blog as an opportunity to put yourself in the shoes of a beginner yoga student and share your own learnings. Your curiosity also shows you’re passionate about keeping your practice fresh, both as a yoga teacher and a student.
- Set up a publishing calendar: Once you have generated a good list of topics for content, your next task is to make sure you are set up to update your blog on a regular basis. One way to ensure you stay on track is to use your calendar or set up a separate blog calendar so you can plan in advance. You might also consider setting time aside to write several blog posts at once. You can then put these into your blog publisher and schedule a time for them to go live. Working ahead in this way means you can focus more of your time on other aspects of your business.
- Gain blog followers and views: As you are publishing new content on your blog, you’ll want to get the word out about this great, new resource you’re offering! Use your social media channels and share teasers so your followers will feel inspired to click-through and read more. Your newsletter is another perfect place to promote new blog content. Think about other channels that are available to you. Put a link to your blog in your email signature, post in any online user groups you’re part of (Be sure to review any guidelines they have in place about self-promotion) and even as simple as sharing with your friends, family, and any current students or clients. Word-of-mouth is still a very effective form of marketing!
We hope that by breaking down the process of starting and maintaining a blog, you are already feeling empowered to give it a try for yourself! Our last piece of advice is to make sure that whatever content you produce feels authentic to you and your practice. Also, don’t be afraid to experiment with different elements such as video or photos. Think of your blog as your practice – keep showing up, stay curious, and watch it evolve!
If you’re new to blogging and feel intimidated by the technical process, we think you’ll be interested in learning more about our user-friendly blog platform which comes with our flagship website builder. Come see how it works at an upcoming live demo session!